Friends of Canada (FoC) in Athens, Greece, once again held their annual Canada Day celebration on July 9, at La Piazza pizzeria in Chalandri, Athens.
Along with the many Canadians residing in Greece and other friends of Canada that attended, Canadian Ambassador to Greece Keith Morrill and Jane Morrill, as well as Canadian Embassy Counsellor Debbie Desrosiers, were also present.
The annual Canada Trivia Quiz had people scratching their heads. The yearly tradition has questions such as: Did you know that Canada has TWO national sports? (answer: hockey and lacrosse); and what’s the most purchased grocery item in Canada? (answer: Kraft dinner).
The yearly ritual of cutting the Canada Cake and the draw for door prizes, was not left out of this year’s event either. There was also a plethora of free prizes –practically one for every person. So many in fact, that a lovely assortment of gifts donated by the Morrills were kept for the next FoC gathering.
The FoC Welfare Network –which collaborates with the Salvation Army — collected several donations of adult personal hygiene products for the Salvation Army’s ‘By Your Side’ program for Greek families and people with their Greek papers.
However, the highlight of the evening was no doubt the emotional farewells to & from the ambassadorial couple, who are finishing their term in Greece. FoC gave them a small token of their affection: A ‘Dance your dreams’ print from artist Lila Koufopoulou, who is a FoC member and was one of the top 5 finalists in the 2017 Greek International Women Awards (category: Art & Design) in London.
Thanks was also given to the Morrills for their constant support.
Special thanks was also given to the following people for making the event possible:
• Maxime Raymond Bock, writer, (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baloney-Maxime…/…/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1… ) for his book ‘Baloney’
• Kathleen Hart, for a bottle of Canadian whisky and maple syrup liqueur
• Shari Lapena, writer (http://www.sharilapena.com ), for her books ‘The Couple Next Door’ and ‘A Stranger in the House’
• JoAnn Lukey-Eliuk, for pencils (40), wrist bands (12), coffee crisp bars (2), chocolates (2), Christie maple leaf cookies, mug
• Barbara Molin, writer (https://barbaramolin.blogspot.gr/), for her book ‘Salt Water In My Veins’
• Natalie Morrill, writer (https://www.amazon.ca/Ghost-Keeper-Natalie-Mo…/…/ref=sr_1_1… ) for her book ‘The Ghost Keeper’
• Christine Saratsiotis, deputy director of Toronto International Festival of Authors (http://ifoa.org/) for Tastefully Canadian dark chocolate bars (2)
• Katerina Trambakou, manager Diktion, Yves Rocher, Greece (www.yvesrocher.gr), for Yves Rocher facials (5)
• Alissa York, writer (http://alissayork.com/), for her book ‘The Naturalist’
–FAREWELL GIFT: A ‘Dance your dreams’ print from artist Lila Koufopoulou, a FoC member and one of the top 5 finalists in the 2017 Greek International Women Awards (category: Art & Design) in London, (http://lilaco.wixsite.com/lilakoufopoulou)
–VOLUNTEERS (alphabetically): Marie-Therese Rolland-Aqbarawi, Sophie Bordeau, Sylvie Dumont, Evdokia Filippou, Fran Kaltsiki, Dawn Lefakis, Patricia Thorburn-Maneta, Christine Melas, Leonidas Papageorgious, Katerina Papamarkou, Francoise Papaspyridis, Alexandra Pell, Jean-Curtis Plante, Eleni Tsoulogiannis, Jeannie Tsoulogiannis
–EMBASSY SUPPORT: Ambassador Keith Morrill and Jane Morrill, Debbie Desrosiers, Eleni Efstratoudakis, Julie Papanicolaou, Zoe Delibasis
–VENUE: La Piazza pizzeria, Chalandri (https://www.facebook.com/lapiazza.lapiazza/ ) for great hospitality and the sponsorship of the ambassadorial couple’s meal.